ICAZ is a nonprofit organization formed around the following goals:
- To develop and stimulate archaeozoological research,
- To strengthen cooperation among archaeozoologists,
- To foster cooperation with archaeologists and scientists working in related fields, and
- To promote high ethical and scientific standards for archaeozoological work.
ICAZ accomplishes these goals by:
- Sponsoring major international conferences every four years,
- Sponsoring smaller focused symposia of the elected International Committee every four years,
- Recognizing a number of active Working Groups which often hold their own meetings,
- Disseminating news about upcoming events of interest to archaeozoologists,
- Distributing a biannual newsletter, and
- Providing an interactive website.